Untangling chronic pain in the queer community
What’s your experience in the healthcare system? Maybe it’s been something like mine:
- You’ve been to a bunch of providers and they all just “sort of” get you. Or worse, they just don’t listen.
- You feel like you have to hide parts of who you are when you seek what is supposed to be a healing treatment.
- Because of how you look or an identity you hold, a provider has treated you poorly, made unwelcome comments or “suggestions” that have no basis in reality.
- You feel like you’re being squeezed for every penny you’re worth in the pursuit of someone else’s idea of health.
- Pain is a constant companion for longer than you’d like to remember.
Do you want to work with a provider who will see you and work with your complex being: whether that is size, gender, sexuality, disability, or the stubborn pain that just won’t go away?
What is my role in your journey?
Acupuncture can create drastic reductions in pain, especially when we stop to examine how that pain fits into your overall health picture.
Some areas we can work together:
- Sexual health for folks anywhere on the sexuality spectrum from asexuality to multiple sexual partners treating pelvic pain, inability to orgasm, heavy or painful menstrual bleeding
- Digestive health for people recovering from diet culture, years of weight loss and gain, or a diagnosed eating disorder
- Hormonal health for anyone with signs of imbalance including fatigue, insomnia, acne, or inability to deal well with stress
With the creation of your treatment plan, we both know what our goals are in working together. Rather than focusing on a vague plan of “feel better,” we will use technology to measure your acupuncture meridians to set goals and track them, so we know when to make adjustments, when we are successful, and ultimately, when to release you from care.
Different techniques offer different benefits. Some may suit your condition better than others:
- Acupuncture for mental-emotional, immunologic, or balancing of your body
- Non-insertive acupuncture with blunt metal tools or lasers for children and those who need a lighter touch
- Electroacupuncture for neurological issues including chronic pain and deeper ailments
- Massage to build rapport, mobilize fluids and tissues, and to calm and relax
- Chinese herbal formulas to continue to work on what ails you between your visits, both internal and external
- Gua sha and cupping to reduce pain and activate your body’s elimination and immune systems
- Moxibustion to warm tissues, reduce pain, and balance the systems of the body
Why choose me
I work with a wide variety of people and conditions, but the patients who may get the most benefit out of working with me are:
- Queer, trans, or gender variant folks*
- Folks actively working to overcome diet culture and heal their relationship with food and their body
- People who have pelvic pain or pain with intercourse, those who want to address issues with their sexual health
- People who identify as polyamorous, kinky, or who have multiple sexual partners
You’ll find me to be relatively direct, but tactful with my questions regarding such sensitive topics as: sexual and reproductive health, trauma, and other frequently stigmatized relationship structures and sexual practices. If it’s important to your health, let’s make sure it gets discussed.
Know your acupuncturist
I am a white Canadian from a low-income background. I identify as nonbinary, queer, disabled, Jewish, working-class, small fat, and neurodivergent. I use they/them pronouns. I own my privilege as a highly educated individual; within the context of a patient/provider relationship, I use consent and trauma informed, patient-centered approaches to make sure I understand and address your needs.
I’m a board licensed Acupuncturist in the state of Oregon and a nationally certified Diplomate of Oriental Medicine through NCCAOM. I am studying to become a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM) and will graduate in 2021.
Outside of work, I’m a bit of a nerd. I love to play dungeons and dragons (5E and Pathfinder!), read fantasy, and snuggle small furry creatures. I’m also an active volunteer and have leadership roles in a local anime convention and local transgender and nonbinary choir. My favourite physical activities are hiking, rock climbing and erging.
Contact and Scheduling
To schedule an appointment, please call (503) 956-9396 or email email@example.com. Online scheduling is available for return patients only and not all available appointments may be shown online.
*Please know that currently there are only binary-gendered, multi-stall restrooms in our clinic space. I am very sorry about this lack of accessibility and we’re working with our building’s landlord to correct this as quickly as possible.