“Cancer is a word, not a sentence,” wrote journalist John Diamond. The diagnosis is never easy, but it’s not the end—rather, it can be the beginning of a new journey of self-discovery and self-healing. Heart Spring Health’s team, including Dr. Serron Wilkie, ND, LAc, acupuncturist Alexandra Jackiw, LAc, and massage therapist Meagen Alm, LMT, collaborate amongst themselves and with patients’ oncologists and other health professionals to support all stages of cancer diagnosis and care. How can collaborative care from our Portland naturopathic clinic help cancer patients? Let’s take a look.
First, we work together to enhance each patient’s physical, mental, and spiritual health. When you visit our office, you won’t feel labeled by your diagnosis. We take plenty of time to get to know you as a person, with an intake covering your physical activity, nutrition, relationships, awareness, spirituality, restorative activities, and more. With this big-picture evaluation of your health, we can suggest healing tools for easing your cancer experience, such as the offerings listed here:
Portland Naturopathic Clinic’s Tools for Cancer Patients
Chemotherapy and Surgery Support
HSH practitioners help support the body during all stages of cancer treatment.
- When taking cancer drugs, the organs of elimination—the liver, the kidneys, and the skin—are overworked. Acupuncture and light massage help cancer patients relax, so that their parasympathetic “rest and digest” nervous systems activate, supporting elimination. Acupuncture and massage also help manage and integrate the effects of cancer treatment.
- Our Portland naturopaths and acupuncturists can suggest pain-relieving foods, and give advice on herbs and supplements to offset chronic pain, exhaustion, and other side effects of cancer treatment.
- Our clinic offers naturopathic oncology in Portland. Dr. Serron specializes in integrative oncology, which focuses on understanding the whole body to support the healing process. Dr. Serron may help patients adjust their lifestyle choices, dietary selection, and stress levels to complement cancer treatment. She can also provide individualized recommendations on natural supplements to manage treatment fatigue and maximize oncology effectiveness.
Optimal Health Post-Treatment
- Heart Spring Health’s providers help boost cancer treatment outcomes by supporting the body, mind and spirit along the healing journey. Both during and after cancer treatment, acupuncture can help offset side effects, boost energy, and amplify healing. In addition to symptomatic relief, Alexandra’s acupuncture treatments build the body’s own immunity.
- Naturopathic medicine removes restrictions on the body’s natural ability to heal. Dr. Serron can help patients uncover lifestyle, dietary, and emotional elements that may be impediments to the body’s innate healing power.
- Our natural health experts can assist those at high risk of cancer, such as people with a family history of the disease.
- Our Portland naturopaths can help you assess your risk of environmental toxins that may contribute to cancer.
- In addition, our providers collaborate by recommending foods and nutrients that neutralize carcinogens and boost immunity.
- We can also help you design an achievable, fun exercise routine to prevent cancer by evening out hormone levels and maintaining healthy bowels.
Working in collaboration allows Heart Spring Health to coordinate care across healthcare providers. In this way, collaborative care maximizes treatment efficacy. Oftentimes, oncology patients are seeking an environment where they can rest, rejuvenate, and heal. They tell us that the warm, peaceful environment of our clinic is just that place. Our patients leave feeling more relaxed and vibrant. Contact us today to learn about how our collaborative team can help you or a loved one with your healing journey.
[Photo by Ivan Vicencio via Freeimages.com]