Did you know that erectile dysfunction affects young and older men alike? Its prevalence is increasing, particularly in younger men.
- 39% of men have erectile dysfunction by the time they are 40 years old, and the percentage increases to 67% by the time men hit age 70
- Men younger than 40 have a 26% rate of having erectile dysfunction; half of these cases are severe (Learn more in The Journal of Sexual Medicine)
Natural Health Practitioners Treat the Cause of Erectile Dysfunction
Ignoring erectile dysfunction and other sexual health issues or covering up this important symptom with a drug, has far-reaching implications. These symptoms actually mean that there are potential malfunctions in your circulatory, hormonal, and nervous systems. If you’d like to learn more about naturopathic treatments and how they work, visit our web page on the healing power of nature.
These biochemical imbalances may be causing erectile dysfunction now, but if untreated, are major risk factors for many illnesses and a poor aging process.
- Dementia: A study published in 2015 found that men with erectile dysfunction had significant increased risk of both Alzheimer’s dementia and non-Alzheimer’s dementia within a 7-year follow-up window.
- Heart Disease: Erectile dysfunction is equal to both smoking and having a family history of heart disease as a signifier of future cardiovascular disease. Both heart disease and erectile dysfunction are associated with atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries) and endothelial dysfunction (inability for blood vessels to open and close properly).
- Hip Fracture: Men older than age 40 with erectile dysfunction have a 3.74 times higher chance of developing a hip fracture.
Addressing the Cause for a Healthier Sex Life and Longevity with Naturopathic Medicine
Working with a men’s health physician to address the underlying imbalances causing erectile dysfunction now, will promote ongoing health and successful aging. Covering up the symptoms of low libido and erectile dysfunction with drugs will only offer temporary relief.
Dr Jason Wells is a naturopathic doctor and licensed acupuncturist.